Customs and Immigration Information

Crossing the border

*IMPORTANT: Before planning your trip to Canada, check all border crossing requirements on the Canada Border Services Agency Website

To help you cross Canadian borders with minimum hassle, we've provided basic travel tips plus a direct link to the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency.

Where are the border crossings located, and what are their hours?

Click here for border crossing information. If you cannot locate the information you require, please contact the Border Information Service (BIS) at 1-800-461-9999.

What documentation is required to enter Canada?

When you enter Canada from abroad, a passport is required and in some cases a valid visa may be required.

For more information on visiting Canada, visit the Canada Border Services Agency.

What documentation do U.S. Citizens not born in the United States require?

U.S. visitors not born in the United States should carry their Certificate of Naturalization and permanent residents should also bring their Green Card. Temporary residents of the U.S. must carry a passport and may also require a Visa, depending on their country of citizenship.

Who needs a Visa to enter Canada?

Citizens from abroad are required to show a valid passport in order to enter Canada; some may require a Visa. Go to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for a list of countries and territories whose citizens require Visas.

International visitors to the U.S. from Visa Waiver Program countries are now required to apply for travel authorization online.

What documentation is needed for children visiting Canada?

Adults travelling with children must carry a passport for each child. Divorced parents with shared custody rights and non-custodial parents should carry legal documents establishing their status; a notarized letter authorizing the child to travel with that parent is required. Unaccompanied children should carry a letter of permission from their parents or legal guardian.

What can I bring? What can't I bring?

The Canada Border Services Agency has detailed information related to visiting Canada.

Do I need a work permit to film in Saskatchewan?

When coming to Canada to film for a television show based on a tourism product (hunting, fishing), you will be providing a significant benefit to the Canadian tourism industry by promoting visitation from other countries.

Workers who will provide significant benefit to Canadians and/or Canada by working in the country can obtain a work permit upon arrival at Customs and Immigration.

To prove that you are in the country to help promote our tourism industry, you will be required to show a Letter of Invitation from Tourism Saskatchewan. Once the letter is presented, Customs and Immigration officials will begin processing the required work permit(s).

To request a Letter of Invitation (LOI), please contact the Media Relations Team.