Tourism Saskatchewan Media Policy
Tourism Saskatchewan can provide financial assistance to media who are interested in visiting the province to generate written or broadcast coverage of our province’s people, events and attractions. Support is provided to assist with the costs of transportation, accommodations and meals. Tourism Saskatchewan will only support fishing and hunting media when working with licensed Saskatchewan outfitters.
Are you Media?
If you are seeking financial assistance for your media visit to the province, please complete and submit our media visit request form. Tourism Saskatchewan Travel Media consultants will receive and review the request and contact you to follow up.
- If your request is approved, you will receive a written (email) notification of the amount Tourism Saskatchewan will reimburse you for this request.
- Tourism Saskatchewan will reimburse you for eligible expenses up to the stated amount. Eligible expenses include those related to travel (economy airfare, vehicle rental, gas, etc.), accommodations and meals. If visiting attractions or attending events in Saskatchewan related to your story, any admission costs will also be reimbursed. (Are you working with a Saskatchewan operator or outfitter? Please see below.)
- Hunting/fishing permits and licenses, ammunition as well as any charges for required work permits are not eligible expenses and cannot be reimbursed by Tourism Saskatchewan.
- Keep all receipts from your trip. Tourism Saskatchewan reimburses eligible expenses based upon the original receipts which can be mailed, emailed or faxed to Tourism Saskatchewan’s Travel Media department. General invoices for expenses incurred will not be reimbursed: receipts are required. If you are faxing or emailing receipts, please retain the originals as Tourism Saskatchewan may request they be submitted for accounting purposes.
- The total amount of support is stated in Canadian dollars. In the event that you have expenses in a foreign currency, eligible expenses will be reimbursed in that currency. Eligible expenses incurred in Canadian dollars will be reimbursed in Canadian dollars.
- Your eligible expenses may be more than the support that has been provided; however, you will be reimbursed up to the previously stated amount only.
- All eligible expenses must be submitted to Tourism Saskatchewan within the current fiscal year to be reimbursed. Tourism Saskatchewan’s fiscal year ends September 30.
- Tourism Saskatchewan reserves the right to request a copy of the coverage produced from supported media trips, whether video, print, radio or photography.
- Tourism Saskatchewan considers each media visit request individually to ensure that it meets the strategic direction of the Travel Media Support Program. Media may request multiple media visits per fiscal year; however, Tourism Saskatchewan may not be able to provide financial support for all requests, due to budget and strategic considerations.
For example ...
You submit a request for a crew of three to fly to Saskatchewan from Michigan to film a duck hunt for a US outdoor sports channel. Tourism Saskatchewan reviews your request, ensures that it meets the strategic direction of the agency, and sends you an email confirming that Tourism can support your trip up to $3,500 CDN.
You book your return flights for three at an expense of $2,100 USD. Vehicle rental to and from Regina costs $457 CDN, fuel costs $213 CDN and meals for the three crew come to $640 CDN. You save all the receipts from your trip and submit them to Tourism Saskatchewan immediately upon your return to Michigan after a successful hunting trip, generating great footage.
The expenses incurred are $1,310 CDN and $2,100 USD and all were eligible for coverage. You will be reimbursed for all expenses up to the $3,500 CDN that was provided, with the expenses paid in Canadian currency reimbursed in Canadian dollars and the expenses paid in US currency reimbursed in US dollars based on the exchange rate on the day of reimbursement.
Tourism Saskatchewan will mail the cheques to you.
Are you a Saskatchewan Operator?
- If you have media interested in visiting your operation, please ensure that they contact Tourism Saskatchewan’s Travel Media department as soon as the details are arranged.
- The application for financial support for their visit is best completed and submitted by the media outlet, to ensure it is completed fully and with all the necessary contact information.
- Financial support for media visits reimburses media for eligible expenses related to travel to and from Saskatchewan including travel (economy airfare, vehicle rental, gas, etc.), accommodations and meals. If visiting attractions or attending events in Saskatchewan is required to complete the coverage, admission costs will also be reimbursed.
- It is expected that operators host their media guests, covering their expenses while at your facility or destination. Please note that hunting/fishing permits, ammunition, bait and licenses as well as any charges for required work permits are not eligible expenses and cannot be reimbursed by Tourism Saskatchewan.
- Tourism Saskatchewan considers each media visit request individually to ensure that it meets the strategic direction of the Travel Media Support Program. Operators can arrange for as many media visits as they wish; however, Tourism Saskatchewan may not be able to provide financial support for all requests, due to budget and strategic considerations.